North@Work wants to recruit you!
Do you need a job now?
Do you need a better job with better pay?
Do you need a career with opportunities for growth and advancement?
Perhaps you need training or more education to equip you to meet your goals.
If you answered yes to any or all of these questions then North@Work is for you.
North@Work is designed to connect African American men, 25 years and older, living in North Minneapolis, to good-paying jobs. Your first step toward opportunity is to attend an information session.
Why do I have to attend an information session?
Information sessions answer all your questions and help get you on the best path toward employment. We want you to know that North@Work is about you. We listen, we talk and we pursue a plan that you help design for your immediate and long-term professional goals. This is why we need you to come to an information session.
Day, evening and weekend sessions are available, but you must show up to get started!
We hold information sessions at:
Twin Cities R!SE
1301 Bryant Ave N. Minneapolis, MN 55411
Every Thursday (noon-1:30pm)
Saturday, May 19 (Noon-1:30pm)
Every Thursday (noon-1:30pm)
Saturday, June 16 (Noon-1:30pm)
Know this – North@Work is unique. It was designed with the help of men like you who were unemployed, underemployed or lacked the training needed to advance on the job. So, we get where you’re at and are committed to ensuring your success with you.
We look forward to connecting with you. If you still have questions, feel free to give us a call at 612-351-9592. Be sure to follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/NorthAtWork/
North@Work connects African American men, 25 years and older, living in North Minneapolis, to career pathways that are sustainable, employment that offers living wages with competitive benefits, opportunities with growth and advancement, and support to meet personal and professional goals. We advance racial equity in North Minneapolis by reducing systemic barriers to employment and economic opportunity for African American men.
The Northside is a diverse, yet predominantly African American area of Minneapolis, and one of the most economically depressed areas of the Twin Cities region. The unemployment rate in North Minneapolis is 22.3 percent, more than twice the rate of the rest of the city, and even worse for African American men: 52 percent of working-age African American men living on the Northside are unemployed. In some Northside census tracts, the unemployment rate approaches 65 percent.
North@Work is a solution uniquely designed to deliver more equitable outcomes for African American men, lead to stable and thriving lives for community members and a more vibrant Northside community. We focus on disrupting the existing employment system by addressing workplace bias, eliminating employment barriers, equipping men with skills to obtain living-wage jobs and relying on trusted community relationships to improve results.
- Engage African American men through trusted networks: North@Work weaves a network between trusted organizations and leaders in the African American community, including churches, cultural and faith-based organizations, and other African American men who have recently secured employment.
- Place men in jobs that match their aptitudes and interests: North@Work offers robust, custom assessments to help men understand their strengths and the type of work environment in which they are most likely to thrive.
- Develop peer cohorts for support: Partner agencies conduct personal assessments and coaching for men both as individuals and as part of peer cohorts. North@Work provides consistent peer support to men in training and (as we progress) to groups of men working for a single employer or across employers in a common occupation.
- Identify high-impact industries: North@Work identifies businesses that have large numbers of meaningful, permanent, entry-level jobs to fill in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, home improvement installation services, construction, and more. We provide a direct link between a cohort of workforce trainers and the businesses that have jobs. We ensure candidates are matched with an employer that requires their specific skill set and training.
- Build welcoming and inclusive workplaces: North@Work works with businesses and organizations to create welcoming and inclusive environments in which African American men can succeed and contribute. We also support employers in understanding the barriers to employment for African American males, and to develop workplace environments, in which men feel supported, can reach their personal goals and can contribute to the employer’s workforce needs.
Current sectors for employment
Manufacturing, Carpet installation, Construction, Information Technology, Customer Service
North@Work can be a source for often times hidden talent, employers with an aging workforce, or employers who want to have an impact through residents of North Minneapolis. We are looking for employers who pay a full-time living wage with career laddering opportunities for advancement. Please contact Tony Tolliver at email@example.com or 612-351-8216.
North@Work is a program of Northside Funders Group and is made possible due to our funders:
McKnight Foundation, The Minneapolis Foundation, Greater Twin Cities United Way, DEED, MSPWin, Wells Fargo, US Bank, Bush Foundation, Phillips Family Foundation
Twin Cities Rise, EMERGE, MUL, Dunwoody, Summit Academy, Mind the G.A.P.P